Professional roofers handle a wide range of roofing jobs, from installing new roofing to repairing and maintaining existing roofs. Because the work is high off the ground, whether for homeowners doing DIY or professional roofers, roofing can be dangerous work. Doing roof repairs comes with a risk of falls and other injuries, making it essential for roofers to follow certain procedures. Roofers must have the right kinds of equipment and knowledge to get the job done safely. Quality roofing companies make sure their workers follow a few important safety protocols to stay safe on the job and reduce the risk of injuries.
Roof Safety Equipment
Staying safe while performing roof repairs involves having the right equipment. Some of the safety equipment roofers use while working on rooftops include the following:
- Shoes with traction: Roofers should wear shoes with good traction and avoid shoes with slippery soles. Shoes with grooves or other types of traction help lower the risk of slipping and falling while walking around on roofs.
- Safety harness: Safety harnesses provide a high amount of protection from falls and other injuries by helping roofers stay secure on rooftops. Usually known as personal fall arrest systems, these harnesses include a lanyard that connects to a solid structure or anchorage on the roof to stop falls from happening should a roofer slip while working.
Roof Safety Procedures
Having the right safety equipment for doing roof repairs is only part of ensuring a secure work environment. Roofers also need to be familiar with safety procedures that can reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. Some of these safety procedures include the following:
- Use ladders properly. Place ladders on even surfaces or secure them to prevent them from sliding on decks and other surfaces. Ladders should be at least three rungs higher than the gutters, so that roofers can easily reach them when it’s time to come down from the roof. Ladders should also be placed at a safe angle to prevent them from tipping over.
- Clear away debris, such as nails, to lower the risk of serious injuries. Getting rid of debris and working in a clean environment can also help lower the risk of slips and falls for those doing roof repairs.
- Watch out for power lines when working on roofs. Avoid touching power lines, and do not place metal tools and other objects near them. Roofers who will be working on a roof with power lines nearby should use a ladder made from wood or fiberglass instead of a metal ladder.
- Carry roofing materials up a little at a time. Roofers who need to get large amounts of roofing materials onto roofs should take a little up at a time rather than trying to carry larger loads up ladders.
OSHA Safety Tips for Roofers
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is responsible for regulating workplace safety. From using the proper equipment to reducing the risk of falls by evaluating structural integrity, OSHA provides important safety tips for roofers. Professional roofers are trained in OSHA safety protocols, and should always follow OSHA procedures and regulations to ensure that they are working in a safe environment.
Homeowner Roof Safety Tips
While you should let professional roofers handle roof inspections and repairs, there might be times when you have to go up there yourself. If you do need to go on your roof for minor repairs or to check for damage, keep these roof repair safety tips in mind:
- Avoid going up onto the roof when it’s windy, rainy, or too hot, since this raises the risk of accidents, heat stroke, and other dangers.
- Have someone go up there with you instead of handling roof repairs on your own.
- Wear a high-quality safety harness, and secure it to the roof to help you stay safe and lower the risk of slips and falls.
- Wear proper footwear that provides traction, so you won’t slip on the surface of your roof.
- Place ladders on even ground, which helps reduce the risk of having them shift or fall.
Prestige Roofing Las Vegas Roof Repair Services
If your Las Vegas or Southern Nevada area home needs roof repairs, contact Prestige Roofing today. Our roofers have the training, experience, tools and equipment to perform roof repair effectively and safely. Whether you have minor wear and tear, or more serious damage, Prestige roofers will get your roof back in shape to protect your home value and property for years to come.
Prestige Roofing’s work ranges from service and repair work, re-roofing and new construction work, commercial and residential work. They have also done work for ultra-custom projects around the Las Vegas Valley.