Roof Repair / Reroofing
The condition of your roof is fundamental to the condition of your entire home. Without proper roof repair, a damaged, leaky, moldy or otherwise defective roof can cause extensive damage to walls, floors, window frames and fixtures both outside and inside the home.
How do you know if you need roof repair?
Here are some signs to look for:
- Loose, missing, broken or chipped tiles
- Split, warped or loose shingles, or nails popping up
- Visible mold or algae growth, dark spots and trails that could be water or moisture damage
- Loose materials around chimneys, vents or skylights
- Check gutters for debris or damage and whether they are securely attached
- Check drainage to be sure water is not pooling or blocked
- Check stucco walls for stains or cracks caused by roof leakage
- Check edges and visible seals for cracks or breaks
- Sagging of the roof or light showing through in any places
- Signs of termites or other pests in wood shingles
Never walk on your roof to carry out this inspection. Besides the danger of slipping or falling, walking on the roof can cause damage to any roof whether new or old. Leave this inspection to a trained roofer who will be able to correctly diagnose any damage you may have spotted.
- Check ceilings and walls for bumps, spots, stains or mold
- Check walls and wallpaper for cracks, peeling, water stains or signs of mold or mildew
- Check that bathroom, dryer and kitchen vents are all properly directed outside and are not blocked by vegetation or debris
Commercial buildings should be examined for leaks, cracks, broken or loose roof fixtures, damaged stucco or mortar, tearing, warping or other damage in flat roof asphalt caused by the elements like our excessive heat or high winds.
Is your roof repairable or will it need replacement?
Usually, if your roof has not reached its end of life, unless there is extensive damage caused by such things as falling trees or structural damage to the home, roof repair is enough to bring your roof back to working conditions. If your roof is older or severely damaged, replacement may be needed. The lifespan of a shingle roof is about 20 years, a tile roof may last up to 50 or more years, metal even longer. Your roofer will give you a more precise idea of the age and condition of your roof so that you can make the decision on whether repair or replacement are the best way to go.
If you suspect your roof has experienced damage or wear and needs repair, it is important to act quickly to fix the problem. This will avoid the damage getting worse and costing even more to repair in the future. The best way to save money and protect your home and family is to inspect regularly and repair problems early.
Prestige’s experienced team will help you determine your roof repair or replacement needs for your home or business. We can match or replace your roof materials and style or help you design a new roof. For a free estimate with no obligation, contact us today.