Easy DIY Roof Maintenance to Help Avoid Costly Roof Repairs
Your roof is one of the single most expensive investments you make in your home. On average, a new roof costs slightly more than $8,000 but can range as high as $35,000 depending on they type and style of roof. Obviously, homeowners want to help their roof last as long as possible. Keeping your roof well maintained is one of the most important things you can do to help make sure you don’t have to replace your roof any sooner than necessary.
Simple DIY Roof Maintenance Tips
What does good roof maintenance entail? It’s actually easier than you may think and does not take a lot of time. Below are some simple things homeowners can do to make sure their roofs avoid unnecessary damage and last a long time.
- Keep leaves out of gutters and off of the roof. Clogged gutters can cause rainwater to back up onto your roof or into your attic and cause mold and mildew inside your home. In addition, leaves allowed to remain on the roof in the fall will decompose and not only stain the surface of your roof but also compromise the integrity of the roof. Better to make a habit of cleaning the gutters and clearing off the roof each fall after the leaves are down.
- Make sure rainwater is flowing smoothly through downspouts. It’s not only gutters that can cause rainwater to back up into your attic. A clogged downspout will have the same effect. While you’re up on the ladder cleaning the gutters, make sure to check your downspouts as well.
- Check and retack gutters periodically. Of course, your gutters can’t function correctly if they aren’t in the right position. High winds can cause your gutters to pull away from the side of your eaves, leaving a gap for water to run through. This can cause water to cascade off of your roof and leave trenches in your landscaping below. If enough water cascades this way from your roof, it can even seep into your basement or crawl space.
- Trim the trees near your roof. Tree branches near your roof can damage the shingles and even fall atop your roof causing structural damage. Avoid both scenarios by planting new trees away from your structure and keeping existing trees well trimmed.
- Check your insulation. You may not think that your attic insulation has much to do with your roof, but the truth is good insulation at the top of your home can extend the life of your roof. Good insulation in your attic helps keep your roof at an even temperature and thus prevents cracked shingles and ice damage during that rare, but not unheard of Las Vegas ice storm.
- Look up at your roof at least twice a year. Most of us don’t give our roofs much thought…until there’s a problem. However, looking up at your roof and giving it a visual inspection at least twice a year can catch roof issues before they become expensive problems. Look for lifted shingles, loose or missing flashing, and missing or exposed fasteners. If you notice any damage or loose shingles or tiles, call your local roofer to have them take a look. Minor damage repaired early on will save you lots of money on major repairs or roof replacement later on.
Roof Maintenance and Repair with Prestige Roofing Las Vegas
There’s a lot you can do as a homeowner to preserve the value of your home by keeping your roof in good condition. To learn more about keeping your Las Vegas roof well maintained or make an appointment for a free roof inspection, contact Prestige Roofing Las Vegas at 702-646-7536. We’ve been helping Las Vegas Valley homeowners like you with their roofing needs for more than 25 years.
Prestige Roofing’s work ranges from service and repair work, re-roofing and new construction work, commercial and residential work. They have also done work for ultra-custom projects around the Las Vegas Valley.