Your roof protects your home from the elements, so it’s important to keep it in good shape at all times. No matter where you live or what kind of roof you have, to make sure it lasts a long time and does its job, it’s important to make sure your roof remains in good condition which will help extend its life and save you the cost of damage due to leaks or mold. From spotting problems early to performing routine maintenance, learn more about how to properly care for your roof and when to get in touch with your roof contractor for help.
Common Residential Roofing Problems
Tile roofs that are common in Las Vegas are generally tough and meant to last for many years, but they can develop problems over time, some related to age, others due to poor installation or damage. Roofs can be damaged by strong winds, heavy downpours, storms, falling trees or other objects, and other weather or environment-related conditions. Some of the most common problems that can develop with your roof include:
- Cracked or chipped tiles: Having tiles that are cracked or chipped can make it harder for your roof to completely protect your home from water or wind damage. These flaws also affect your home’s appearance and value.
- Missing tiles: Tiles that come off due to strong winds or through wear and tear leave gaps in your roof, which increases the risk of having water get inside your home. Faulty roof construction: If your tile roof was not
- Faulty installation: if your roof was installed incorrectly or if you’ve had faulty repairs done, your home’s interior can be at a higher risk of leaks. Problems such as exposed nails, cracked roof cement or mismatched materials can all compromise your roof’s ability to protect your home.
- Cracked flashings: Flashings on your roof keep water away from vulnerable areas, such as around chimneys, but they can’t do their job if they’re cracked or deteriorated. When gaps or cracks form in roof flashings, water can seep through to your home’s interior.
- Ponding: Water can build up on flatter roofs after frequent rainstorms. This buildup, known as ponding, can weaken your roof and lead to structural damage.
Roof Repair or a New Roof?
If you do notice any signs of damage to your roof, should you have repairs done or invest in a new roof? This depends on the type of damage you have, how severe it is and what kind of condition your roof is in overall. Minor problems that occur on a tile roof that’s relatively new and in good shape can be repaired. But, if you have an older roof that’s showing many signs of wear and tear, has underlying issues in the roof system, it’s worn out look detracts from the beauty and resale of your home, or if your roof has major problems, such as severe damage, you should consider having a brand new roof installed.
Importance of Regular Roof Maintenance
While tile roofs are durable, it’s still important to have them regularly maintained. This helps lower the risk of problems and can extend your roof’s life span. Keep your roof clean and clear off debris that accumulates on it. Don’t forget to clean out your gutters as well, which can help reduce the risk of ponding on your roof. If you see missing or cracked tiles, have them replaced as soon as possible. You can perform routine inspections on your own, or have a local roofer in Las Vegas do them for you.
Prestige Roofing’s work ranges from service and repair work, re-roofing and new construction work, commercial and residential work. They have also done work for ultra-custom projects around the Las Vegas Valley.